Such is the success of the annual Somerton Music & Arts Festival that the event has now been extended to cover two weeks in July, as well a prelude event in the form of an art and photography exhibition to kick things off at the end of May.
The festival fortnight itself comprises a wide range of events to be held across the town, with bands playing in the local hostelries, talks, walks, musical recitals and various food and drink themed workshops.
The flagship of the festival however is Somerstock, Somerton’s own family-friendly music festival, which is shaping up to be a corker! As well as headline act The Hoosiers leading the charge of ten live bands providing continuous music all day, the festival offers a much wider array of food outlets, multiple bars, the return of the silent disco and entertainment for the children.
“All our performers can’t wait to show off their amazing talent and entertain you, so why go elsewhere when you have all this on your doorstep, right here in Somerton!” extols festival chairman Cliff ‘Fred’ Bassett.
The organisers would like to clarify that the family fun day, which is now part of the Somerstock weekend, will take place the day after Somerstock on Sunday 10th July on the sports and recreation ground and will be free to attend as usual. Fun-day activities will include the traditional blend of displays, family activities, food, bars, classic cars and live music, but bigger and better than before!
The events to be held across town from the 1st to 14th July include:
- Bath Gilbert and Sullivan society will be performing songs with a nautical theme mainly from G&S but also from other well-known composers (Friday 1st July, St Michael’s Church)
- Not like the others playing rock, dance and indie covers from across the years (Saturday 8th July, Unicorn)
- Quiz Night The infamous Festival Quiz returns – show off your knowledge and win prizes. Maximum of 20 teams of up to six people. (Monday 4th July, Sports Club)
- Somerton Ukulele Band and Singers A U3A group of 30 members playing all the old favourites for the residents of Wessex House (Monday 4th July, Wessex House)
- Jive Night Featuring Ray Warry teaching the jive along with Strictly Jive and Twisted Vinyl who will jive your socks off! (Thursday 14th July Edgar Hall)
The Art & Photography exhibition runs from 28th May and run until 4th June, opening daily from 10am to 4pm (closed on Sunday 29th May). Alongside the exhibition, the festival will be hosting talks and interactive workshops including digital art, felting and drawing, as well as workshops for children in bracelet making and sewing, plus an afternoon of crocheting.
The exhibition is free to visit and provides an opportunity for all amateur photographers, artists, sculptors and needle-workers to display their work. Exhibitors need to reserve a place to enter their work and will need to book early to avoid disappointment. Entries can be made at www.somertonartsfestival.co.uk/exhibit
For more information on all the events go to www.somertonartsfestival.co.uk